Thursday, August 13, 2015

Chef de Le Thrift Does Mexi-CAN

Like many, I've caught myself having Taco Bell dreams while still expecting to wake up with a Beyoncé figure. Growing up with authentic Mexican dishes always on the menu, it became apparent once I moved to "hipster's paradise" that a local greasy burrito or a dry vegan taco was my fate.

Despite many failed attempts to cut out Mexican food all together, I began experimenting with traditional dishes. Instead of looking to take -out options or restaurants, I looked to my current grocery list to see what could be flavorful/healthy substitutes to the usual calorie packed, sodium filled meals. With a strong emphasis on vegetables (cooked various ways), for texture & spices found in original Latin cuisine, tasty meals that will yield all the flavor minus the belly are achievable!

First up on the menu that I like to call, "The Mexi-CAN" is one of my personal favorites- Molé ! 

Super easy, fast, & won't take away from the shoe budget! 

Ingredients: 
1 package of extra form tofu 
1 jar of mole sauce (spicy chocolate sauce)
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh lime & lemon 
Cumin
Pinch of sea salt 
Various veggies of choice  
Grain of choice (brown rice or quinoa) 
Tajin seasoning 
Salsa/chile of choice 

- Simply drain the tofu, slice into thin strips & sauté in olive oil til golden brown.
- In a separate pot, make your grain of choice with a shot of lime or lemon for a zesty kick
-  Prepare veggie mix - any will do the trick but I used leafy greens like spinach & kale, carrots, zucchini & red bell pepper. Mix well with a sprinkle of olive oil & various seasonings listed.
- Nearing the final component, add a 1/2 jar of the mole sauce (I used Dona Maria brand) to saucepan   & stir til  thick, not chunky * adding a bit of  lime to sauce will cut the salt & give more of a dressing consistency
- Bring all items together for a mole bowl of sorts that will yield many flavors, minus the guilt & upstage any bland salad!
- Top with salsa or chile of choice

Chef de Le Thrift - Natalie 

No comments:

Post a Comment